Choosing the best two-way radio for an application requires a few pre-qualifying questions to be answered prior to calling for radio recommendation:
- Are two-way radios currently being used, and if so; what is the brand, model and quantity?
- What type of business is it?
- How large is the area or facility? Are there any obstructions?
- How many total employees are working at one time? Are there multiple shifts? Are there different workgroups or departments?
Upon answering these questions, please call our customer service representatives, who can be reached for a radio recommendation, Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Central Standard Time or email us at any time.
Most business users need to communicate on-site and around their structures. The primary concern in choosing the correct radio is coverage of the facility with a clear, crisp audio signal that is easy to understand. Wide area coverage of multiple buildings or the distance of a few miles may require use of a range extender / repeater. Range is determined by several factors:
- UHF analog radios provide the best coverage indoors and out; especially in steel and concrete structures and large, industrial or multi-story buildings. A 2-watt, UHF analog radio will provide better coverage inside industrial buildings than a 5-watt, VHF analog radio.
- DTR Digital radios provide comparable coverage to the 4-watt UHF analog radios in addition to having superior sound quality.
- VHF analog radios are good for outdoor, “line of sight” applications and inside wood structures.
- Power plays a role in determining coverage and signal penetration.
- Obstructions such as steel, metal, and concrete will reduce range and coverage.
|Range and Coverage Guide|
|Model||Inside Steel / Concrete
|Typical User Markets|
|RMU2040, RMU2080, RMU2080d||Up to 250,000 SQ FT||Up to 20 Floors||Construction, Property Management,
|CLP1010, CLP1040, CLP1060, CLS1110, CLS1410||Up to 200,000 SQ FT||Up to 10 Floors||Retail, Hospitality, Restaurant Lodging|
|DLR1020, DLR1060||Up to 300,000 SQ FT||Up to 20 Floors||Construction, Property Management
|DTR410, DTR550||Up to 350,000 SQ FT||Up to 30 Floors||Construction, Property Management
|RDU4100, RDU4160d||Up to 300,000 SQ FT||Up to 30 Floors||Construction, Property Management
|RMV2080, RMM2050||Up to 180,000 SQ FT||Up to 10 Floors||Construction, Property Management|
|RDV5100||Up to 250,000 SQ FT||Up to 15 Floors||Construction, Property Management|
Below are some frequently asked questions: